Announcement

Cancellation of 1 World Music Festival has concert-goers puzzled

By inSing EditorEvents - 19 September 2013 10:46 AM

Cancellation of 1 World Music Festival has concert-goers puzzled

In a shock announcement yesterday evening, the organisers behind 1 World Music Festival announced that the festival had been cancelled, only two days before the two-day festival was due to happen.

Held in conjunction with the F1 weekend on this Friday and Saturday night (20 & 21 Sep) in Singapore, the festival was due to be headlined by international superstars such as Snoop Lion, Moby and Iggy Azelea at Marina Barrage.

Electronic music artiste Moby posted a tweet about the event on 17 September, “Flying to Australia for 2 days en route to Singapore. See you soon, hopefully.”

There were also many local and international musicians and DJs who were due to perform, including Singaporean acts rapper Kevin Lester, Singapore Idol winner Sezairi Sezali and DJ Inquisitive.

Read also: Repping The Lion City: Kevin Lester

According to the press release issued on Wednesday night, the organisers, Retfar Entertainment, only cited ‘unforeseen circumstances’ as the cause for cancellation.

“The organisers of this event would like to thank everyone that believed in this event and who planned to attend…(the 1 World Music Fest Staff were) very disheartened at this turn of events”.

The relentless promotion on social media platforms Facebook, Twitter and Instagram over the past few months held no indication that the event was going to be cancelled at the last minute.

Concert-goers were understandably upset by the sudden cancellation. Nora R’Lynna, 24, a civil servant, had purchased her tickets in August.

“I’m very disappointed because there was a lot of hype about it,” she said. Having gotten the Saturday ticket, she was looking forward to seeing Snoop Lion and Far East Movement.

Read also: Far East Movement: Party boys on stage, food critics off stage

She questioned the sudden turn of events. “What are those ‘unforeseen circumstances’? I am very upset about it because it is so close to the event, and I feel it is quite irresponsible,” she said.

Similarly, 27-year-old Adam Osman, a freelancer, called the sudden cancellation “ridiculous”. He had won a pair of tickets off an Instagram competition organised by one of the event’s partner magazines.

“I’m not da&* angry or upset about it because I didn’t have to pay for it, but I think the fact that it was cancelled so close to the event was puzzling, especially because no one really gave a reason for it,” he said.

The organisers could not be reached for comment.

It is not clear how many tickets were sold already. Organisers announced that tickets would be refunded via ticket agents from 25 September onwards.