Movie Feature

JJ Abrams to direct next Star Wars

By Lucas Shaw (Reuters)Movies - 25 January 2013 10:08 AM | Updated 10:20 AM

JJ Abrams to direct next Star Wars

J.J. Abrams will direct the next 'Star Wars' film for Disney, taking stewardship of one of Hollywood's most iconic and lucrative film franchises, an individual with knowledge of the production told TheWrap.

'Argo' director Ben Affleck was also in contention, another individual with knowledge of the talks told TheWrap.

Also read: Disney buys Lucasfilm, new 'Star Wars' film in 2015

Ever since Disney bought Lucasfilm last year and announced it would make new 'Star Wars' films, fans, members of the media and industry executives have speculated about which director would take the job. Abrams' name always came up, but he told Entertainment Weekly in November that he wasn't going to take the job.

He did say 'Star Wars' was the first movie that "blew my mind" in terms of special effects.

Lucasfilm Chief Kathleen Kennedy has been courting Abrams, one of the most successful directors and producers in Hollywood -- and a man beloved by fanboys. He runs one of the industry's top production companies, Bad Robot, and created or co-created television franchises like 'Lost', 'Fringe' and 'Alias'. He has also directed film spectacles 'Mission: Impossible III', 'Star Trek' and 'Super 8'.

Also read: When you wish upon a (Death) star

The lure of the Jedi was too strong, and it will no doubt complicate his relationship with Paramount, where Bad Robot is a top supplier. Abrams has been feverishly working on 'Star Trek Into Darkness', his second Star Trek film since he rebooted the franchise in 2009. 'Into Darkness', still in post-production, opens May 18. 

Though he has several producing jobs in front of him, Abrams had been uncommitted as a director. He will have to jump right into 'Star Wars', which Disney has slated for a 2015 release. "Little Miss Sunshine" screenwriter Michael Arndt