He’s the antithesis of the archetypal classical musician—shaggy haired, unshaven, ragged jeans and sometimes he even lacks a shirt.
But as the old adage goes, it's never wise to judge a book by its cover. German violinist David Garrett is a true blue virtuoso of the classical stringed instrument. A child prodigy, Garrett was a former student of legendary violinist Yehudi Menuhin, and completed his studies at the Royal Academy of Music, London & the Julliard School, New York.
A self-confessed ‘child of the MTV generation’, Garrett counts acts such as Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The White Stripes and Metallica as some of his influences, and not to mention classical icons Yehudi Menuhin and Isaac Stern. The ‘David Beckham of Violin’ has carved out a unique and wholly new artistic path, paying as much homage to Metallica as he does to Mozart.
“What’s most important in music-making is to have your own sound and individual style,” explains Garrett about his approach to music. And that rebellious streak is evident in his works which blends classical with massive doses of pop, rock, R&B and even metal.
His sophomore effort Encore even contained an alternative version of Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal” merging into Mozart’s “Turkish March”.
In 2009 he released a self-titled album on the Decca label. A year later he returned with Rock Symphonies, an album featuring material from Nirvana, Guns 'N' Roses, and of course, Metallica.
Garrett will take you on an incredible musical journey with his unique interpretations of classic rock tunes by U2, Aerosmith, Guns and Roses, Metallica and Nirvana with classical favourites from Beethoven and Vivaldi as well. The classical crossover star will be here in Singapore on October 6 for an exclusive gig at Avalon in Marina Bay Sands. And inSing.com has 10 pairs of tickets (courtesy of Universal Music Singapore) for you to catch the man in action.
How to win:
Contest ends: October 4, 12pm
Showcase details (by invite only):
Date: October 6
Venue:Avalon, Marina Bay Sands
Time: Doors Open at 7.15pm
Terms & Conditions:
- STDM is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, misdirected, delayed, or undelivered entries, including without limitation entries not timely received due to telephone failures, Internet failures and disruptions, and ISP problems. Incomplete information may result in disqualification of entry. By providing your e-mail address, you grant STDM, the right to send you commercial messages, unless specified otherwise as indicated on the entry form.
- Multiple entries from the same participant will be disqualified.
- All winners will be notified via email. Like us on Facebook to get alerts when we announce the winners.
- Judges’ decision is final.
- All entry content shall become the property of STDM with Contestants agreeing to allow STDM to use and/or amend the entry contents in any manner it deems fit, including publishing the answers of the winners on STDM's websites, press and/or any other media. STDM fully reserves the rights to such publications.
- SingTel Digital Media Pte Ltd (STDM) reserves the right at any time to replace any participant and/or winner subsequently found to be disqualified for any reason.
- STDM reserves its rights to determine an outcome and act as it deems fit in any dispute(s) and/or issue(s) relating thereto.
For more terms & conditions, read here